Examine and comment on the possible religious and/or ethical responses that might be made to issues related to medical ethics, with reference to abortion. (50 marks)
75 mins total
5-10 mins planning
Introduction 10 mins 2 Paragraphs
- Definition- removal of a foetus from the womb before it can survive
- Common- 1 in 5 pregnancys end in abortion-200,000 a year
- Catholic church calls abortion "an unspeakable crime and murder"-others see it as a social necissity and a womans right to choice.
- Legal situation-1967, 2 doctors, 24 weeks. not legal in other places e.g.Ireland, Malta, Brazil
- Case studies- Gianna Jessen, Savita.
Religious Responses 10 mins 4 paragraphs
- Sanctity of Life- One of the key religious responses to abortion is the principle of the sanctity of life.
- Definition-life is sacred and God-Given
- 10 commandments- do not kill
- Does the S of L apply before birth-psalm 139-Jeremiah
- Didache-early Christian teaching on Abortion
- other religious teachings-ahimsa-Hindu idea of non-violence to all living things