Intermolecular forces are attractive forces btw molecules. These forces are normally weak attractive forces.
1. dipole-dipole forces
2. temporary dipole-induced dipole forces
3. hydrogen bonding forces
The term Van der Waals forces include dipole-dipole forces & temporary dipole-induced dipole forces. Van der Waals forces are the weak attractive forces that occur in a large no. of substances including noble gases & halogens.
- Occur btw polar molecules.
- Resulting from the tendency of polar molecules to align themselves.
- +ve end of one molecule is near the -ve end of another.
Temporary dipole-induced dipole forces
- Occur in a non-polar molecule (Br2, I2, Cl2, CH4) / an individual atom of noble gases
- Evenly distributed. However, distribution may…