Cholera is caused by a bacterial toxin called vibrio cholerae, which affects the absorption of water in the small intestine. The pathogen is the bacteria, which makes a toxin. This toxin is harmful to the human body. This happens when enough bacteria is passed into the stomach with food.
It is the toxin that creates the symptoms of the disease rather than the bacteria itself. The cholera toxin affects the cells of the gastrointestinal tract so instead of normal diarrhoea, it is replaced with large quantities of fluid. Some people describe it as being like rice water. Fluid loss is very dangerous if it is not treated quickly.
The cholera bacteria is passed from faeces which comes…