- Greater social change took place in Britain during the period 1750-1900.
- Changes were gradual.
- Altered the way most people lived.
- This revolution also had an effect on policing & punishment.
- 1750 - The population was 9.5 million people in England and Wales
- 1900 - The population increased to 41.5 million people
- People lived in towns - crowded in poor housing
- Wealth and Taxes
- Two centuries of trade and industrial growth had made Britain a wealthy country.
- Income tax was introduced for the first time in the 1790's to help pay for the war against France.
- 1800's - Governments collected higher taxes to pay for reforms that would improve people's lives.
- 1750 - 1 in 8 men had the right to vote in a general election
- 1885 - Nearly all men were able to vote
- Governments began to make reforms such as improving housing and health, which would win them votes from ordinary people.
- 1750 - Farming had been the way nearly everyone earned…