Many important chemical processes exist as equilibrium systems, these include...
- preparation of ammonia from nitrogen and hydrogen in the HABER PROCESS.
- conversion of sulfur dioxide into sulfur trioxide in the CONTACT PROCESS.
N2(g) + 3H2 (g) ----------> 2NH3 (g) enthalpy= -92 KJ mol-1
- Ammonia is produced by the forward reaction in this equilibrium
- The forward reaction produces fewer gas molecules FAVOURED by using HIGH PRESSURE.
- The forward reaction is EXOTHERMIC, FAVOURED by using a LOW TEMPERATURE.
- Although a low temperature should produce a high equilibrium yield, the reaction would take place too slowly! (at a low rate).
- At low temperatures few N2 and H2…