What is ICT?
Use of technology for:
- Input, Processing, storage and transfer of data and the output of information.
- Traditional computers doing tasks - processing by entering sales data to produce output information (invoice)
- More options available (laptops/PDAs and mobile phones)
- Digital TV - used to take part in interactive quizzes & shop electronically (familar interface people feel comftable with)
What is a system
- Can be paper based
- e.g. system in place to record customer orders (INPUT), all prices of seperate items together & add up total (PROCESS) & finally produce the bill (OUTPUT)
- Resturants already use computers - process in modern digital world - introducing computerised billing systems.
- Basic functions of a computer
- Data entered via an input device - keyboard
- Calculations, queries and other operations - performed on data in processing stage
- Results (processing) sent to output device (monitor)
Photographs from digital camera -- Crop, airbrush defects out, reduce resolution and change size in a graphics package -- Improved photographs to be displayed on page
What is an ICT System? (How and why organasations use ICT systems)
- Modern organsations - fulfil their goals (nature of ICT system - depend of what those goals are)
- Commonplace - organasations to use ICT systems to produce information - traditionally produced by paper-based systems
- e.g. reciepts, invoices, sales,…