- Created by: Alexmac333
- Created on: 06-02-19 18:20
How Effective was Gov Response to Radicalism?
Trial of leaders of the LCS and suspension of Habeus Corpus
- In 1793 government arrested leaders of LCS and SCI as they viewed a meeting they called 'seditious'
- Trials took place towards the end of 1794,
- Habeus Corpus suspended in 1794
- However all evidence was either invented or flimsy, so all accused were acquitted
- LCS at its height had 5,000 members
- After trial key leaders withdrew from radical politics
Treason Act 1795 and Seditious Meetings Act 1795
- Treason Act in 1795 made it treason to even threaten parliament, made call for parliamentry reform treason
- Seditious meetings act of 1795, act restricted size of meetings to only 50 people, unless…