- Hoover Dam
A Large scale top down water management project in an MEDC.
So many large projects are implemented on the Colorado river beacuse it is a very dry area and is used to irragate land so that fruit and vegetables can be grown. It also supplies water to Southern California.
Why was Water Transfer Needed?
- Temperatures throughout the Calorado basin are high so water is lost through evaporation.
- The basin relies on snow melt from the Rockies, which relies on precipatation.
- The lower basin was liable to flooding.
- Urbanisation and population growth in the SW.
- Water is also needed for farming (cattle and irragation).
Why was the area so suited to a reservoir?
- The Colorado river flows across deeply dissected, level sandstone plateus (canyons)
- Canyons provide storage. The underlying rocks are impermeable and so less water would be lost through infiltration and percolation.
- The Hoove dam was built in the Black canyon…