- 31st President of the United States (Republican)
- President during Wall Street Crash
- Before Crash, Hoover said "We in America today are nearer to the final triumph over poverty than ever before in the history of any land"
- After the Crash, he believed in 'Rugged Individualism'
- Idea that the individual is responsible for helping themselves to deal with the impact of the Great Depression
- Federal Government shouldn't ger involved economically to help people
- Feared that too much interference by the state would lead to people becoming too reliant on the government and stop people from doing things like creating businesses when things got better
- Continually claimed 'prosperity is just around the corner'