- Created by: 13boneo
- Created on: 31-01-19 13:06
- The opening shot of the film shows soldiers taking their swords, immediately establishing its historical setting. It is also reminiscent of 'suiting up' sequences, suggesting to the audience that a fight scene is imminent.
- A long shot shows the geography of the police department, which is symmetrically arranged with the important characters in the foreground. The highly-structured environment connotes discipline and formality.
- Upon entering the Peony Pavillion, the lead actor becomes the centre of attention; he is literally surrounded by women and similarly the centre of the frame. This characterises him as both likeable and important.
Echo Game Sequence
- All the cinematography in this sequence is in aid of servicing the echo game, which plays out across quite a large area geographically and at a fast pace.
- The camerawork predominantly mirrors movement on-screen during this sequence. Once Mei's dance starts, for instance, the camera never stops…