Describe what happened in the Rhineland in 1936
Once upon a time...
- The Rhineland is an area of Germany that borders France.
- Under the terms of the Treaty of Versailles the Rhineland was de-militarised (no troops or weapons allowed there!)
- This was to prevent any sudden, surprise attack on France.
- However on 7th March 1936 Hitler ordered his troops into the Rhineland.
- Hitler feared opposition from Britain and France (he was in no position to fight, German armies were too weak).
- This was clearly against the Treaty of Versailles, But nothing was done to resist German army.
- France, who had the power to drive out…