Weakness of Weimar
- New constitution was very democratic and used PR which produced coalition governments which were often short lived.
- Many feared the Weimar Republic was not strong enough to tackle the growing threat of Communism.
- The right wing & elite were against the Weimar Republic and wanted to return to the "old" Germany with strong leadership.
- Article 48 gave the president emergency powers to bypass the Reichstag and protect democracy.
- This all undermined the Weimar Republic from the very beginning and faith was soon lost.
- Germany was over reliant on American loans untill the Wall Street Crash in October 1929, leading to a world wide depression and America reclaiming it's loans.
- Unemployment reached 6 million.