USA after ww1
- joined the war in 1917
- 100,000 men died
- usa made money from selling good, raw materials and weapons.
- war doesn't concern the USA, they would be paying for World Peace.
- Wilson wanted to join league of nations and sign treaty of versailles
- Harding wanted America First- return USA to normality
- Harding won the presidential election, US public rejected treaty of versailles and league of nations.
- 1930's neutrality acts= USA refused to get involved in European affairs and refused to sell weapons in a conflict.
Effects of isolationism
- US kept out of european affairs.
- League of nations was weak and failed
- allowed the rise of hitler
- Helped create the red scare
- led to attempts to control immigration
- Led to tariff policy; helped create the great depression.
Tariffs (economic isolation)
- before ww1 low tariffs helped world trade and America Benefits
- after ww1 there was high tariffs because of the isolationist feeling:
- USA didn't need the rest of the world.
- Put american businesses first by making foreign goods more expensive
- help encourage boom seen through ww1.
- U.S wages were high, high tariffs would stop foreign goods being bought.
- 1921- Emergency tariff: increased tax on food imports
- 1922- Fordney m'cumber tariff: scientific tariff- high tariff on goods imported from countries with low wages.
- american selling price: made price of foreign goods always higher than US produced goods.
effects of tariffs
- Fordney m'cumber tariff led to highest tariffs in history. average tax was 40%, changed to 400%
- Big companies benefitted at first