HISTORY EXAM DECEMBER '10
Imperialism / Colonialism
Imperialism and beginnings of decolonization
What is Imperialism?
- Imperialism means that a stronger power (like an Empire) tries to dominate a weaker one by taking over the land.
- One Empire tries to consume smaller ones, often in a race against other powerful nations.
- Want for domination
- New Imperialism also started due to economical and political reasons.
- These included natural resources, popular press, demand for raw material.
Changes in Africa
- Egypt and Tunis stay mostly the same area, no big shift in borders.
- However, Algeria expands vastly - France now rules 1/3rd of the whole continent.
- Spain and Italy also get into Africa
- Britain gains many colonies - in race with France and Germany.
- Ottomans disappear from Africa
- Abyssinia is the only independent state left.
What caused New Imperialism?
1. ECONOMIC INTERESTS - Africa is rich in raw materials like…