Modern Medicine 1900-1945:
- Germ Theory is still accepted as way as disease is spread into the body.
- DNA has highlighted how changes in the body make humans ill. Understanding DNA, rather germ theory will help combat inherited conditions and cancers.
- Rontgen (1895) identified x-rays could see through human flesh
- Curie developed WWI x-ray machines and used radium to kill cancers
- Gillies set up plastic surgery unit to treat 2000 WWI soldiers
- McIndoe developed Gillies' work and did plastic surgery during WWI
- Ehrlich made first chemical "magic bullet" that could kill syphillis disease
- Flemming (1928) rediscovered penicillin mould could treat infections
- Florey & Chain got government (UK and USA)…
Similar History resources: