- Frederick becomes King of Prussia in May.
- Maria Theresa becomes Empress in October.
- Before he died, her father, Charles VI made sure his daughter would be supported in being the ruler of the Hapsburg dominions, so he created the PRAGMATIC SANCTION. Most of the electors of the Holy Roman Empire signed it saying the would support her and choose a husband for her to become the Archduke of Austria and the Holy Roman Empire.
- Elector of Bavaria wanted land and challenged Maria Theresa - Frederick saw this as an opportunity so he said he would help protect Austria if he can have Silesia. So when he was met with little resistance, he invaded and acquired Silesia.
- Main reasons for wanting Silesia:
- Buffer zone to protect Berlin.
-Separates Poland and Saxony - weakening potential enemies.
- Trade routes through the River Oder
-Mineral, metal and agricultural resources - iron, silver, zinc, lead, wool.
-He wanted to put his army into use.
- THE START OF THE FIRST SILESIAN WAR.
- THE START OF THE WAR OF THE AUSTRIAN SUCCESSION.
- Austria's reaction to Frederick invading Silesia resulted in the BATTLE OF MOLLWITZ. This secured Prussia's reputation as a powerful military force.
- A coalition was then formed against Austria - this included Spain, France, Saxony, Bavaria, Naples and Savoy. Frederick did not join this coalition but did form an alliance with France against Austria.
- Austria was now preoccupied with fighting against the coalition that is had no time to concentrate on getting back Silesia.
- Frederick proceeded to form the SECRET CONVENTION OF KLEIN-SCHNELLENDORF with Empress Maria Theresa. This said that he would end the alliance with France against Austria if Austria would allow Prussia Silesia.
- Austria began to threaten Bavaria and Saxony so Frederick forgot the secret convention of Klein-Schnellendorf and regained the alliance with France against Austria.
- Frederick withdrew from the war with the TREATY OF BERLIN which also said Silesia was now a recognised Prussian state.
- This saw the END OF THE FIRST SILESIAN WAR.
- Coalition against Austria disappears.
- Maria theresa now has time to concentrate on Silesia so she attempts to recover it.
- This brought about the START OF THE SECOND SILESIAN WAR.
- Frederick wins the BATTLE OF HOHENFRIEDBURG in Austria's attempt to regain Silesia.
- After Frederick's victory he signs the TREATY OF DRESDEN with Austria, this signifies the END OF THE SECOND SILESIAN WAR - Frederick was again allowed Silesia.
- Palace of Sancoussi…