The Iraq War
- The decision to invade Iraq was made in 2003. However it was very controversial.
The first gulf war (1990-1991):
- Iraq was made up of different religions and ethnics. It was mainly Arab but there was a strong population of Kurdish people (17%) in the North of Iraq. Iraq's main religion is Islam.
- In 1979 Saddam Hussein came to power. He was a socialist leader with no religion.
- Iraq was supported by the US when it was at war with Iran in the 1980s.
- The US became angered with Iraq when they invaded Kuwait (1990). President Bush (US president at the time) led international forces against Saddam Hussein. This was the first Gulf War.
President Bush wanted to remove Saddam Hussein from power:
- In 2001 George W Bush came to power and wanted rid of Hussein due to the apparent links between Hussein and Al Qaeda, rumours had it that they were developing WOMD (weapons of mass destruction).
- In October 2002 Congress passed the …