The end of the soviet union
Communism fell over eastern Europe in 1989 onwards:
- Hungary opened its frontier with Austria in May 1989.
- Free elections were held in Poland in June.
- Solidarity was reinstated and it won the elections, leading to a non-communist government.
- Many East Germans gained access to West Germany by passing into Austria, through Hungary and then on to West Germany.
- The Berlin wall was dismantled in November.
- Anti-communist demonstrations took place in Czechoslovakia and soon enough the communist government collapsed in December.
- In Romania, a revolution began (December) against the cruel and corrupt regime. Their dictator was executed on Christmas day.
- The Warsaw pact officially ended in 1991.
- 1990 saw…