Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII
- Henry VIII had voluntarily chosen to marry Catherine of Aragon shortly after he became king
- In the early years it was a harmonious relationship. There is even some evidence that he was influenced by her and appreciated her links to the Spanish king.
- The marriage was useful in the context of an anti-french, pro-spanish foreign policy.
- Catherine concieved on several occassions
January 1510- Baby girl, still born
January 1511- Baby boy, died at 6 weeks old
October 1513- Premature baby boy died
November 1514- Baby boy died within hours
February 1516- Baby girl Mary survived
1517- Queen rumoured to be pregnant
1518- Baby girl, died soon after birth
- Catherines lost pregnancy was in 1518. By 1524 Catherine was approaching 40 and the king was no longer sleeping with he.
- Henry VIII had numerous affairs including one with Elizabeth Blount and with Mary Boleyn , this was considered normal behaviour in tudor times
- The affair with Eliazabeth resulted in a son called Henry Fitzroy. In 1526 aged 6 he was given royal dukedoms of somerset and Richmond, made a knight of the garter and was made a Royal Admiral. Later he was sent to be in charge of the council of the North. Some regarded this as an attemptto have Henry mentioned in sucession
- Henry and Catherine had one direct heir, Princess Mary (1516)
- She had already…