Reacting with soap
- Soft water + soap -> lather (easily)
- Hard water + soap -> scum
- This means more soap is needed to make hard water into lather.
- Soapless detergents do not form scum.
- Hard water - dissolved compounds usually calcium or magnesium.
- These compounds dissolve when water comes into contact with rocks.
Two types of hard water:
- Permanent hard water - remains hard when boiled.
- Temporary hard water - softened by boiling.
- Temporary hard water contains hydrogencarbonate ions (HCO3-) that decomposes…