- Created by: vicky
- Created on: 31-05-12 12:00
After a Guilty Verdict – How Psychology Can Inform the Penal System
1.3 The Prison Situation & Roles
· According to the Howard League for Penal Reform there was 92 unnatural deaths in prisons in 2007, with a further 100 resuscitated.
· At any one time there are 1500 prisoners on suicide watch.
Key Study: Haney & Zimbardo, The Past & Future of Prison Policy in the USA
Part one – Summarising changes over the last 25 years
· Ronald Reagan’s Republican ‘War on Drugs’ (1980s) led to political pressure to put more criminals behind bars.
· The concept of rehabilitation was discredited – criminals deserved punishment.
· Rigid sentencing, with no possibility of parole.
· Many new prisons built, USA imprisons more…