Baroque period- Written in 1741
- Uses 4 main motifs.
- Opening orchestral introduction.
- The movement if built upon the four motifs.
- Major throughout
- Tonic= A major (F#, C#, G#)
- modulates to E major (F#, C#, G#, D#) (dominant) and B major (the dominant of the dominant)
- Diatonic, uses mainly root and first inversion triads.
- Fast rate of harmonic change
- Dissonances created by suspensions (tied notes) and melodic decoration
- Cadences mostly perfect, but sometimes imperfect. PAGAL CADENCE AT END
- Alternates between homophonic and polyphonic
- Occasional short monophonic sections
- Contrasts between using…