- Created by: Maya morris
- Created on: 18-12-19 12:17
- Haiti is a multi-risk hazard enviroment: tropical storms, floods, earthquakes
- Has a complex slip fault, follows a conservative margin.
- Sits above the Caribbean and N American plates slide past one another in a E-W direction.
- plates got jammed building up pressure.
- 12 January 2010 released a 7.0 magnitude earthquake.
- Shallow focus os 13 Km.
- Epicentre was located 24Km SW of Port-au Prince the capital.
- Most of Port-au Prince was flattened in less than 60 seconds. This included key buildings such as the police station, national palace and parliament HQ. Demonstrates lack of infastructure.
- Infustucter damaged. Port subsided, roads uplifted and blocked by debris.
- Over 230,000 people died from quake, or diesaes or storm that followed.
- 50% of buildings collasped, were poorly built.
- Over 180,000homes got damaged.
- 1.5 million people made homeless, and schools were badly damaged.
- In total around 3,500 people got affected.
- Local sea level in some areas changed.
- Strong after shocks recorded of a 6.1 magnitude on the 20th of January.
- Prison was destroyed and so…