LAN stands for local area networks. These are normally located in schools and offices. They usually need the following hardware in order to operate
1. Network file server- Runs the software needed by the network and stores user files
2. Workstations- Give users access to the network
3. Printer server- Users share a printer for that network
4. Wire cables- Data sent to and from network
WAN stands for wide area netowrk. They are used when computers are connected together in different places.
WAN's need servers to operate the network but users connect up to the network from a distance using telephone lines.
WANs are used by companies who have employees working away from the firms main site.
Advantages of using networks
- Printers can be shared
- Software can be shared among users
- Communication across networks is cheaper and faster
- Store finals in central network
Disadvantages of using networks
- Cabling can be expensive to install
- A fault with the server will prevent the whole network from working