Grand Alliance was set up in 1941 by USA, Soviet Union and Britain to defeat Hitler and the Nazis. It was an alliance of convenience by 3 Superpowers who had little in common.
November 1943 Teheran Conference –Roosevelt, Churchill, Stalin
- Agreed that the Soviet Union should have a ‘sphere of influence’ in Eastern Europe.
- United Nations to be set up after the Second World War
- Britain and USA agreed to a Second Front to ease the pressure on the Soviet Union by launching D-Day in the north North of France in 1944.
- Soviet Union promised to help fight Japan after defeating Germany
- BUT disagreements about how to treat Germany e.g Stalin wanted to make Germany pay high
- Reparations (compensation) whilst Churchill and Roosevelt wanted to help rebuild Germany.
February 1945 Yalta Conference- Roosevelt, Churchill, Stalin
- Divide Germany/Berlin into 4 zones controlled by Britain, France, Soviet Union and America.
- Stalin allows free elections in Eastern Europe.
- Relations good because Stalin and Roosevelt got on personally.
- -February 1945 Yalta Conference- Roosevelt, Churchill,…