Tensions between India and Bangladesh
- The Ganges flows through India, the last part of the course takes it through Bangladesh, where it is known as the Padma river.
- The Ganges is later joined by the Jamuna river, the lagest distributary of the Brahmaputra.
- In 1974 India opened the huge Farakka barrage, just 11km from the Bangladeshi border. It is a barrage across the Ganges river , located in the Indian state of West Bengal.
- In March, 2016 water flowing through the barrage swept a gate sending huge quntities of water into Bangladesh- Farakka barrage may not be as effective the Indians thought it would be.
- A series of dams divert water into irrigation systems and many of Indias largest cities use the river to carry wastewater from domestic and…