- Created by: Nat
- Created on: 27-11-18 21:30
- Between the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn.
- Follows the equator
- Hot (20-28°C) and wet all year round.
- The soil isnt very fertile as leaching (where the nutrients are washed away from the soil by the rain) happens.
- Most trees are evergreen.
- Forest floor, Shrubs,Under canopy, Canopy, Emergents
- Found inbetween 15° and 13° north and south of the equator where there is little rainfall (less than 250mm per year).
- It is very hot (45°C) during the day and very cold (5°C)during the night.
- There is hardly any leaf fall so the soil isn't very fertile and it is dry.
- Found in the high latitudes (60°N-70°N)
- It is near the North Pole
- The temperature varies from summer being 20-25°C to the winter being -40°C.
- There is little rainfall
- There is a permanent layer of frozen soil that remains below freezing point called permafrost.
- It is found in the mid latitudes where there are 4 distinct seasons- Winter,Spring,Summer,Autumn.
- Found in the Northern hemisphere.
- Summers are are warm, winters are relatively mild and there is rainfall all year round.
- Deciduous trees lose their leaves to cope with the colder weather.
Development of the tropical rainforest
- Flooding -Vast areas of the rainforest are destroyed to create a resevoir. Submerged forests makes the water very acidic which erodes turbines and so the dams are blocked with soil.
- Cattle Farming/Crops - This accounts for 80% of tropical rainforest destruction.The…