Topic 1- globalisation
'Globalisation' definition; The process by which people, their culture, money ,goods, information, is able to be transferd with very few/ no barriers.
The origins of globalisation
- The world economy took off after 1492- Columbus first landed in America and gained europen control
- European countries became wealthy- traded with colonies for raw materials
- Late 19th centuary- British empire owned 1/4 of world
- Colonies include; - The caribbean, sugar plantations
- - Africa, young slaves/ collapse in african empires.
- Lead to core- (Europe, N.America, Japan) and periphary- (Africa, Caribbean)
- 'Dependency theory'-core depends on periphary and periphary depends on core.
- 'Modernisation theiory'- western investment can reduce povery, preventing the spread of communism
Similar Geography resources: