- 11th March 2011, there was a 9.0 magnitude earthquake in Japan.
- The epicentre was 130 km east of Sendai
- Japan is on the eastern edge of the Eurasion plate. The Pacific plate (oceanic) is then subducted under the Eurasion plate. Which is called a destructive plate margin.
- Subduction caused friction in the Pacific plate which then caused the earthquake and tsunami.
- Around 16,000 people were killed
- 2 million people were left homeless as a result of the tsunami.
- 500,000 people were forced to live in shelters
- Water bourne diseases spread rapidly because of the scarcity of water.
- The earthquake caused a…