Functions of settlements
- In the past main functions was to provide jobs in secondary industry.
- Located in coalfields and have good access to railways and canals for transport.
- In North Staffordshire such as Kidsgrove near Birmingham.
- Newer industrials found on the outskirts of settlements near main roads for transport
- EG; Green science park in Reading close to the M4 junction 11.
- Main purpose = provide somewhere to live
- Often have very few services and very little industry
- Found in/near large towns or cities
- To provide for the retired eg; Eastbourne (SE…