Genetics - Inheritance and selection (part 1)
Genotype and Phenotype
- Genotype- genetic makeup of organism
- Sets limits within which characteristics of an induvisual can vary
- Limits are set by env. Factors .: can change the potential characteristic.
- Change to genotype due to change in DNA – MUTATION. This is inherited in the form of gametes.
- Phenotype- observable characteristics of an organism.
- Results from interaction between genotype and environment – affects appearance
- Change in phenotype doesn’t change genotype – MODIFICATION
Genes and Alleles:
- Genes – section of DNA(Sequence of nucleotide bases) determines single characteristic by coding for…