Scientists can remove a gene from one organism and insert it into the DNA of another organism - genetic engineering
- For example, scientists have inserted the gene from human insulin into bacterial plasmid DNA.
- The genetically modified (GM) bacteria can then make human insulin, which is used by people with diabetes.
- Organisms like these bacteria are known as Genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
The production of human insulin by genetically modified (GM) bacteria has many advantages.
- Insulin used to be extracted from dead cattle and pigs but insulin from GM bacteria can now b used by vegans.
- It also means that the supply of insulin is not affected by animal diseases or the number of animals slaughtered…