SOMATIC CELL GENE THERAPY
- Adding genes.
- Engineering a functioning copy of a gene into relevant specialised cells causes the polypeptide to be synthesised and the cells can function properly.
2) Killing specific cells:
- Using genetic techniques to make cancerous cells express genes to produce cell surface antingens, so they are no longer recognised as "self" and are attacked by the immune system.
GERMLINE CELL GENE THERAPY
- Engineering a sperm, egg or zygote or in all the cells of an embryo.
- The organism grows with every cell containing a copy of the engineered gene.
- Is illegal- could create…