- Created by: teddyk00
- Created on: 12-09-19 15:26
Universality and Bias
- Psychology attempts to conduct research that is "objective" and "value-free".
- However, psychologists possess beliefs and values that are influenced by the social and historical contexts they live in.
- This can undermine the universality of the research.
- This occurs when research or conclusions favour one gender over the other or make one gender appear inferior to the other.
- It is an issue because it leads to the misrepresentation of genders in research, conclusions and theories.
- Usually in psychology it is women who are biased against.
- Examples: Milgram, Zimbardo, Asch
- Occurs when differences between males and females are exaggerated.
- These differences are presented as real and enduring, as well as fixed and inevitable.
- Theories that are alpha biased tend to devalue one gender in comparison…