Balanced Moments and Stability
- Balance is about whether the moments are equal
- If the anticlockwise moments are equal to the clockwise moments, then the object won't turn.
- Example 1:
- A boy who weighs 300N sits 2m from the pivot of a seesaw.
- If another boy who weighs 700N, where should he sit to balance the seesaw?
- For the seesaw to balance, the anticlockwise moments must be equal to the clockwise moments
- anticlockwise moment = clockwise moment
- 300 x 2 = 700 x y
- y = 0.86m
- Example 2:
- A 6m long steel girder weighing 1000N rests horizontally on a pole 1m from one end.
- What is the tension in a supporting cable attached…