Turning Forces and Centre of Mass
- A moment is the turning effect of a force
- Moment (Nm) = Force (N) x perpendicular distance (m) between line of action and pivot.
- For example, a force on a spanner would be what causes a moment or turning effect on the nut. A larger force would mean a larger moment.
- Using a longer spanner, the same force can exert a larger moment because the distance from the pivot is greater.
- To get the maximum moment (turning effect) you need to push at right angles (perpendicular) to the spanner.
- Pushing at any…