- Created by: Hayley
- Created on: 09-05-10 19:57
Revision for paper one
Knowledge and understanding
Why did women find it so hard to begin a career at the beginning of the 20th century?
· Women were not as well educated as men.
· Before 1876 education was not compulsory
· It was not free until 1880
· Some families only educated there sons and not their daughters
· One in fifty stayed at school after the age of ten
· Women were expected to get married and have children.
· Men were the head of the house hold and told women what to do
· Women’s pay was less than men’s
· The law offered little protection to women when they tried to get a job
· Women did not have the vote
The employment opportunities for women in the years to 1914
· The largest employment was domestic service
· Many girls went into domestic service when they left school at the age…