- What is it about?
- the rich-poor divide
- the difference in culture between rich and the poor
- The cultures are juxtaposed in the poem, and it seems like they might mix and interact, but eventually they are still divided
- shows us the simple contrast between different groups of people
- explores the American belief that all men are created equal which is not actually true.
- What do I need to know about the author?
- From New York - great rich-poor divide
- once arrested for petty theft - thieves can be seen as trying to bridge the gap between rich and poor because they try to exist in the world of the rich.
- he is from a city - cities often contain a lot of different cultures.
- What poetic features are noteworthy?
- the garbagemen are described vibrantly - "bright yellow garbage truck" and "red plastic blazers". the descriptions are also simple, like the most of the rest of the poem.
- "elegant open Mercedes" and "elegant couple" - the repeated adjective shows the lack of variation in their lives.
- "in a…