- What is it about?
- This poem tells of a man who lives in London, but is from the Caribbean, and who always thinks of his home.
- It explores a clash of cultures.
- The man is looking back on the past and thinking about the present.
- What do I need to know about the author?
- Grace Nichols was born in Guyana and now lives in Sussex.
- She said she feels at home in both places, and lives in 2 worlds, like the island man.
- What poetic features are noteworthy?
- "breaking and wombing" - the rhythm of this sounds like waves on a shore, and wombing could be a reference to motherhood, he feels comfortable in his mother nation.
- "sound of blue surf" and "sun surfacing" - sibilance suggests the sound of the sea, and also softens the tone of the poem.
- "defiantly" - reflects the way the island…