- Created by: Sam Groves
- Created on: 26-03-11 17:28
- This is a romantic poem about the love shared between Shakespeare and his wife, Anne Hathaway.
- The poem starts with a quote from Shakespeare's will "Item I give unto my wife my second best bed". This is is meant to be a romantic gesture as guests always slept in the best bed while Shakespeare and his wife slept in the second best bed. This is also an indication of the poem's nature.
- There is an extended metaphor of the idea "Love is a language". Shakespeare had a great enthusiasm for language and used it creatively in his writing; the poem is suggesting he transferred this imagination to their relationship.
- Anne suggests that as lovers they were as inventive as Shakespeare was in his dramatic poetry - and their bed might contain "forests, castles, torchlights", "cliff tops" and "seas where he would dive for pearls". these…