On my First Sonne
- Written in 1916.
- Would have been common in that time for young children to die of illness.
- In memory of the poet's first son.
- Written like a funeral song - an elegy
- The poet was a devout Christian.
- "Thou child of my right hand" - Jesus sat on the right hand side of God, religious context. Right hand was thought to be better at the time.
- "My sinne was too much to hope of thee, lov'd boy" - Ben Jonson's only sin was to love his only child too much, making it unbearably hard to lose him.
- "seven yeeres tho'wert lent to me" - his son was a gift from God, extended metaphor of the idea that God only gave him the son as a loan, he still rightfully belongs to God.
- "Exacted by thy fate" - Ben Jonson…
Similar English Literature resources: