- One of Simon Armitage's more personal poems, and is written as if he is talking to a close friend or lover.
- About trust between parent and child
- Armitage is talking in present tense about the damage done to someone's parents' trust in the past.
- Trying to suggest to them to mend their relationship.
- Title suggests returning home after a period of time, in this case after a dispute.
- Poem starts with imperative "think" and then "two things on their own and both at once" - the 2 things are clearly linked, poet wants us to imagine link between them is trust.
- the "canary yellow jacket" = metaphor for trust. In last stanza he wants them to make peace and to "try the same canary yellow jacket" again. Suggests the person can trust in him.
- In second stanza, the jacket is "blackened underfoot" could suggest jacket made dirty like trust was made dirty from pure. jacket being trampled on could suggest accusations being…
Similar English Literature resources: