- Romantic poem exposing the truth about love.
- It is clear in meaning.
- Anti-love poem with the message that you don't have to be perfect in love, and that love doesn't have to be exaggerated.
- Comparisons in every other line - first colour comparisons - "coral is far redder than her lips red"
- Repeating the word "red" emphasises the lack of colour in his wife's lips.
- The colours help to create powerful imagery for the reader.
- "why then her breasts are dun" - they are murky brown, she doesn't make an…