- First Impressions - red hair -suggests anger
- black cap, cloak etc. - connotations of death
- ugly - could suggest ugly character - "ugly without silliness"
- military leader of choir - shows desire for power? barks orders - "Choir! Stand still!"
- "staring out of his face were two blue eyes, ready to turn to anger" - evil image right from the start.
- Main characteristics - arrogance - ("I ought to be leader")
- desire for power
- violent and savage/bully - ("Use a littl'un"),
- obsessed with hunting and killing - ("If there is a beast, we'll kill it")
- evil comes out quickly - like the obsession with hunting and violence - in chapter 2, Jack almost kills a pig - but can't quite bring himself too.
- Development of character
- becomes increasingly violent and savage - at first he can't kill the piglet "because of the enormity of the knife descending into living flesh" but he goes on to become a hunter ("ape-like")
- compare chapter 1 with later description in forest.
- degradation of language shows degradation of behaviour.
- At first, he is keen to have rules ("Let's have lots of rules"), - so he can punish people?
- Later on, he…
Similar English Literature resources: