- Hard water makes scum and scale
- Hard water won't easily form a lather with soap - you get a nasty scum instead.
- This means to get a decent lather, you need more soap.
- The problem is the hardness minerals in the hard water reacting with soap.
- Hard water also forms furring or scales (mostly calcium carbonate) on the insides of pipes, boilers and kettles.
- Badly scaled-up pipes and boilers reduce the efficiency of heating systems, and may need to be replaced - all of which costs money.
- Scale can even eventually block pipes.
- Scale is also a bit of a thermal insulator.
- This means that a kettle with scale on the heating element takes longer to boil than a clean non-scaled-up kettle - so it becomes less efficient.
- Worst of all, hard water can also cause a horrible scum to form on the surface of…