Group 1 Elements
- These elements are called the alkali metals because their hydroxides dissolve in water to give an alkaline solution.
- As you go down the group the alkali metals become:
- 1. bigger atoms because there's an extra full shell of electrons for each row you go down.
- 2. More reactive because the outer electron is more easily lost because it's further from the nucleus.
- 3. Higher density - because the atoms have more mass.
- 4. lower melting and boiling point.
- The alkali metals are very reactive.
- They are lithium, potassium, sodium, francium, caesium and rubidium.
- The alkali metals all have one outer electron.
- The alkali metals all form 1+ ion.
- The alkali metals always form ionic compounds because they are so keen to lose the…