- Machines can help us to analyse unknown substances.
- They are useful for medical purposes, police work, environmental analysis, athletics (drug testing), etc.
- Technological advances have made more advanced analysis possible.
- Advantages - Can be done by technicians, not only trained chemists like lab tests. More accurate than lab tests. Much faster than lab methods and tests can be automated.
- Disadvantages - Very expensive to run, buy and maintain the machines.
- To identify metals, atomic absorption spectroscopy is used.
- The patterns of light absorbed by the metals in the sample…