The Kidneys and Homeostasis
- Kidneys basically act as filters to 'clean the blood'
- They perform 3 main roles:
- 1) removal of urea from the blood.
- 2) Adjustment of ions in the blood.
- 3) Adjustment of water content of the blood.
- 1) Removal of urea
- Proteins can't be stored by the body - so any excess amino acids are converted into fats and carbohydrates, which can then be stored.
- This process occurs in the liver.
- Urea is produced as a waster product from the reactions.
- Urea is poisonous. It is released into the bloodstream by the liver.
- The kidneys then filter it out of the blood and it's excreted from the body in urine.
- 2) Adjustment of ion content
- Ions such as sodium are taken into the body in food, and then…