Managing Food Production
- People have been able to use what they know about energy loss from food chains to find the most efficient ways of producing food.
- The efficiency of food production can be improved
- There are 2 ways to improve the efficiency of food production:
- 1) Reduce the number of stages in the food chain
- For a given area of land, you can produce a lot more food (for humans) by growing crops rather than by having grazing animals.
- This is because you are reducing the number of stages in the food chain.
- Only 10% of what beef cattle eat becomes useful meat for people to eat.
- However, people do need to eat a varied diet in order to keep healthy, and there is still a large demand for meat products.
- Some land is also unsuitable for growing crops (e.g. moorland).
- In these places, animals like sheep or deer might be the best way to get food from the land.
- 2) Restrict the energy lost by farm animals
- In developed countries like the UK, animals such as pigs and chickens are often intensively farmed. They're kept close together…