- Created by: thesassypanda
- Created on: 12-02-17 15:39
- New medical drugs have to be tested before they can be prescribed for patients.
- They are tested in a laboratory to check that they are not toxic, and later they are trialled using human volunteers
- At this point, any potential side effects should show themselves. Most substances do not pass all the tests and trials, so drug development is expensive and takes a long time.
- Medical drug trials are not without risk. Sometimes very severe and unexpected side-effects appear.
- Antibiotics are drugs which are used to help kill the bacteria inside your body, without killing your own cells, with examples being things such as penicillin and streptomycin